Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cooking

I have to say that I am obsessed with The Food Network, that and HGTV, but that will be later. Do any of you watch The Next Food Network Star? I really don't think any of them are Food Network ready, but whatever, we'll see who wins.....I think I secretly want to be this great cook, but I really don't feel like I have the time to practice, and most of the time I don't have the ingredients and I hate going grocery shopping! If only someone could do the planning and grocery shopping my life would be so much easier....that and cleaning my house, laundry and cooking but we won't go there. I really do want to cook, but I just get too tired by the end of the day and all the sudden it is 5:30 and I have nothing planned so I am searching my freezer and then just wait for my hubby to come home and being the good husband that he is doesn't complain that I don't have dinner ready (he has learned). I am pathetic. It has been a week and two days since we have moved in and I have only cooked one meal for dinner and it was potstickers from the freezer and my hubby made fried rice. I don't even think I cooked dinner the week before we moved either. Now I am so sick of eating out and feel like I am getting fatter by the minute. Going back to the food network, I really love food, and everything they make looks so great and wish I could make the same things. So, I am going to be a good little wifey and plan ahead and try to cook!!!! How does everyone else do it? Do you plan ahead your meals and then make one big shopping trip for the week? Half the time when I do that, first of all it takes me forever to plan, secondly I end up waisting food because I don't end up cooking some of the stuff that I originally planned, and I hate grocery shopping for a ton of stuff especially with kids. So any advice out there on how you do it?

6 comments:

Amy said...

My friend's cousin is on that show!! Here is her blog: http://www.kelseyskitchen.blogspot.com/

I actually haven't seen the show -- what day & time? I need to tune in!

As for grocery shopping I do a once a week plan & shopping. I leave a couple days in there for leftovers and of course Friday night is go out night...so really I only have to cook about 4 times a week...well before I lived with my mom, that's what I did!! :) Good luck!

chel wakley said...

I always plan three meals, and then I figure there will be three days in the week that will work out to have dinner. Otherwise I too end up waisting food. I love to do stuff in the crockpot because you put it in first thing in the morning and don't have to worry about it all day. I love the site allrecipes.com I will go on there pick out three recipes and then get the ingrediants to make it. GOOD LUCK :)

Alifinale said...

I am so the same way! I really enjoy cooking and I love the Food Network - but I hate planning and shopping. I tried the week planner as well but wasn't very good at following through. I have made a list of the meals that I make and then I have a reference to go to when I am going to the store or when it is time to make dinner.

PS - that is awesome that B made fried rice - Brian rarely participates in the cooking of dinner so I am jealous.

A said...

I am right there with you. Most of the time i have to prep all the food during ellie's nap and then I throw it together at dinner time. Check out Prudence Pennywise under my "fun stuff" section. She has awesome easy and cheap recipes. I cook her stuff weekly.

The Foisy's said...

I just plan a week at a time. I make easy stuff that doesn't cost a lot and tastes good. If you want some
recipes, let me know we can exchange! I used to make a lot of Rachel Rays stuff but it takes a lot of ingredients and costs a lot. So I don't do them very often.

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!!! You are such a doll. Okay so about cooking. SERIOUSLY Chante- I HATED cooking for the last 5 years until about 6 months ago I started making myself be passionate about it. My mom is an AMAZING cook- she just has that natural touch and desire to be good. But I inherited nothing. HOWEVR, I will just tell you to stick with it and keep praticing random things. When your kids get a little bit older and become more self sufficient to where you have a little more time to yourself...YOU WILL START LOVING IT MORE AND MORE!! It's totally happening to me!! And the best part of it is when your kids get old enough to tell you how yummy your cooking is- it makes it that much more fun. KEEP GOIN GIRL!!