Friday, May 21, 2010

Update on Cole

So Cole had his surgery on Tuesday. All went well. I even loaded up the camera to take pics, but my hubby made fun of me and that most likely I wouldn't use it and be bugged that I would have to lug it around. So, I didn't bring it and now I have no pictures to show you all!!! Anyways, he was a cute smiley guy before surgery, smiling at the nurses while they checked his oxygen level with that little thing on the toe. Then we gave him a kiss goodbye and he was gone in someone else's arms. All we had to do was wait. It turns out he had two hernias, one on each side. He has two incisions. The doc said everything went well and normal. When I went in to see him after the surgery he wasn't quite awake from the anesthesia and so when I was holding him and he was waking up he full on just started screaming uncontrollably. Of course, he was still hooked up to the monitors and so his blood pressure was rising, etc. I felt so bad for him and I felt useless. The nurse just told me that this is normal. He wasn't feeling pain because he was still numb from the light epidural they gave him, but he was just confused and his body felt different and weird from the anesthesia and that babies don't know how to react. Anyways, he calmed down and slept for about 45 minutes and then woke up again screaming. The nurse then decided to give him some morphine and he then quieted down again. We had to sit in this tiny room for 3 hours after the surgery which was pretty much torture. We then went home and Cole was not eating well yet and I was frustrated. Then of course, I had to get a fever along with Brec so we were miserable all night. Cole did decide to finally nurse well during the night, but he woke up a little more often than normal, unsure if it was pain. All has been well. Things are still a little different with Cole. I can tell he still isn't back to his normal self yet, but he is getting there and showing us his smiles! I am just glad this is behind us and no more worrying!

4 comments:

Alifinale said...

I am so glad that you got it taken care of, even if it was tortuous in the mean time. And I am so sad that you and Brec got sick too. Hope all is getting better now.

Thanks again for letting us come and stay and play at your house amid a new baby and more. We love you guys!

R Family said...

He is such a trooper. I'm glad everything went well. Call me if your kids need a distraction, we would love to play

Coco said...

I'm so sorry all this had to happen. Hope he recovers well. And you might FEEL useless holding him while he screams, but when my little guy woke up from surgery early and I wasn't there yet his scream was petrified, when I got there to hold him his cry totally changed. He still cried A LOT, but it was more peaceful, if that makes sense. SO, my point is that he knows you're there and holding him, and that's sometimes the best medicine there is. Hang in there.

The Foisy's said...

So glad everything is okay. That's rough and so scary. I hope I will get to see him! Are you headed to Utah for the fourth?